TWBoards.com

The official community for Territory War

You are not logged in.

#1 3/12/2010 3:54 pm

exe.Cute

Let's Talk Video Games

What kinds of games are your favorites and why do you like them?

--Background Information You May Not Feel Like Reading--

Most people break down into preference by genre, but I'm sure there are a few who go by setting, like someone who really loves the Old West.  For those who aren't familiar with genres, they focus on the style of gameplay a game has.  Here's a summary:

Action - Skill-based games where you can lose by failing to get the timing or motions right.
Adventure - Games where forward progress is dictated by the items you collect.
Role-playing - Games defined by stats and experience, not by "playing a role."
Sandbox - Games where you can do anything you want just to see what it's like.
Simulation - Games where you manage something modeled after a real life scenario.
Strategy - Games where you plan out how you're going to achieve your goals and enact your plan, adapting to changing conditions.

Most games are either a hybrid of two or more of these genres or specialized forms of them.  A first-person shooter is a specialized action game.  A football game would be a combo between action and simulation.  Puzzle games are strategy or action-strategy.  Subgenres can then be broken down and hybridized with other genres too, so it's not really a strict hierarchy.  Many games incorporate elements from three genres (usually not four).

With multi-genre games, you'll usually prefer one genre.  If you play sports games, is it because you like winning at sports or because you like managing a team?  If you're playing a city builder, do you want to build the best city ever or just fiddle with different configurations to see what they do?  First-person shooters have varying levels of "strategy" to them; do you like ones with more or less?

--End Background Information--

One of my favorite things in video games is starting with something small and building it into something really amazing.  With strategy games (RTS and 4x), it's about building up a really great economy as quickly as possible.  My opponents are just there to gauge my own progress, and crushing them at the end is just a formality.

RPGs are similar, except you're building up a character or a team instead of an empire.  I like watching my characters grow from little weaklings into unstoppable powerhouses by the end.  That's why I almost always use the characters I start with until the very end... I grow attached to their early stats and skills and like to watch those develop over time.

I'm a big fan of RPG hybrids over regular RPGs, because the "fight these random encounter monsters in turn-based battle" gets really old to me really quickly... although there are notable exceptions.  RPG fans often talk about whether they play "for the story" or "for the gameplay."  The gameplay gets me through to the end and determines how much fun I'll have, and a good story determines how I'll reflect on the game later.  Games aren't supposed to be something to grind through to get to the next cutscene, though.

My favorite games ever though are action-adventures, in particular 2d ones (Metroidvania).  You go around collecting items that let you go new places in the world.  I like them because they're the epitome of "grow something small into something big."  At the start, you can't run, you can't jump very high, and you die at the drop of a hat.  Then by the end you're flying and fighting huge monsters without even taking damage.  They also tend to be difficult which lets me exercise my formidable experience as a gamer, which is nice since most of the other games I like don't take much skill.  And then on top of that you get to explore a world filled with areas, each with its own unique character.

Some other things I like that aren't really genre-based... stylized graphics, bright colors, and sharp contrasts.  I hate realism, because it makes things ugly and places restrictions on what my character is going to be able to do.  I also prefer 2d games to 3d games because I get lost easily in 3d worlds, and 2d graphics are usually clearer and easier to understand than 3d graphics.

Adventure-RPG?  You'll see that phrase everywhere, but no game I know of has actually crossed those two genres together.  Also total tl;dr here.

While no longer active on these forums, I'm available by email if you'd like to talk to me.

#2 3/12/2010 5:10 pm

Babadingldoo
Website

Re: Let's Talk Video Games

I donít play shooters, adventures, or RPGs, which is the majority of the market.

Shooters because itís just the same thing over and over, in every game. Find the gun, shoot the enemy, reload, shoot some more! Iíve only played a few shooters in my life: Time Splitters, because of itís massive amount of characters, and Red Faction, because of the terrain damage. After that I didnít see the point of playing another shooter, would have felt like the same game to me.

Adventures because I donít feal like trying to find my way around for hours looking for a certain item while fighting the same 5 enemies. And I donít care much for story plot. I donít skip it, because you need to know whatís going on, but seriously, what hasnít been done before? Itís like playing a really long movie to me, and when it comes to movies Iím pretty much opinionless on how good or bad it was. When people ask me how was a movie, my usual responce is ďit was fineĒ or ďit was a movieĒ.

RPGs because they have too many choices, and I canít handle choices. >.< Itís hard for me to decide what I want for breakfast in the morning, and thereís only like 4 choices at once. RPGs you have like 5+ things to do at once and then you pick one and go there and you get even more choices, then you complete the quest and 3 more pop up for you to do. Plus I donít like having to decide what is the best choice to say in a conversation, pick the wrong one, then have to restart until I find it. Waste of my time. And again with the not caring of the story.

The game genres I play are racing (non-sim ones, if I wanted realistic driving I would go driving in a car), fighting (not Street Fighter or similar games, ones more like Tekken and Soul Calibur), puzzles, and others (just got Katamari Forever for Christmas ^^). These genres canít really get worse, only better. They can only be improved and/or given new material and ideas. Yes, sometimes the ideas may not work (NFS has been getting worse since UG2, and HP2 is my favorite NFS of all time) (SC4 was a letdown and a horrible finale to a wonderful series), but unlike with the above 3 genres, you can try again. If people donít like your shooter/adventure/RPG, youíre done, no more sequels, and if they do like it, then they make the same game 5 more times with better graphics. With racers/puzzles, if they donít like it, then they try something else, and if they do like it, they still try something else. I canít say this for fighters, but they do improve on the fighting aspect, add more moves/attacks, and add new characters with unique fighting styles with every iteration.

They also have little or unnecessary story plot (Dude I destroyed all the stars in the cosmos so now I need you to destroy everything on Earth by rolling it up and Iíll turn it into plasma and everyone on Earth will still be alive and happy again!), and very few choices. With racers, youíre choices are slow down to take the turn, or stay the same; go left or go right; take the turn sharp or loose; and when going straight thereís obviously only one choice, accel to top speed. With fighters, you can attack or block; move or stay there; do a quick attack or a powerful attack. With all these choices itís only ever two at a time, and with racers once you know the best path, or route if itís open world, you no longer need to choose anything. Finding the best path to me is like figuring out a puzzle, search and think and eventually you solve it.

http://internetometer.com/image/2368.png

#3 3/12/2010 5:48 pm

CViper

Ahh where to start. My prefered genre is Action Adventure in the same vain as Zelda. The scenery is usually great, story is usually engaging (if not slightly similar to others), gameplay is varied due to the numerous weapons and upgrades and the bosses are frankly amazing. I am partial to an exploration game in the vain of "MetroidVania" as the genre is annoyingly named. Im more into FPA than Sidescrolling Adventure(SSA for the purpose of this post) games as they offer more variety in the gameplay and you can really get the sense that you are actually exploring rather than just scrolling through screens.
Action-RPG's are the second order of the day with me. Whilst it isn't my favourite genre, it did produce my all time favourite game: Diablo II. Good features of this are the exploration mixed with Number Crunching but also the real time fighting you get unlike other games that are turn based affairs. Other notable games include Star Wars: Knights of the Old Repulic 1 and 2. I prefer playing this genre single player but I do like the MMO side of things in Diablo and dare I say it...WOW.
I also like puzzle games that test my intelligence and logic so I can stretch the ol' brain. Notable games include Professor Layton Series, Picross and Picross 3D etc. Strategy games are also good for testing the brain. These games really come alive when playing in online multiplayer where you test your logic, wits and bravery against an opponent in real time. Advance Wars series is probably my favourite from this genre.
Racing games such as mario Kart and DiddyKong Racing 64 are my favourite sorts. Lots of frantic powerups crazy power slides mixed with speed boosts that can make you go like a million miles an hour. Mario Kart comes alive in Online Multiplayer and Battle Modes; Diddy Kong Racing was better as a single player game with the adventure feel of it and the hub world, though the Coop was good too. The bosses were also a nice touch.
Shooting games both first person and third person games are also good. Out of the Third Person slant the Resident Evil Games stand out to be the best. Especially Resi Evil 4 on the Wii which is probably my favourite of this genre. In the first person part of this genre GoldenEye 64 was easily the best and the likes of COD and Halo don't even come close. Having said that the online on COD 4 was quite enjoyable and its a shame that thy added way too many noob items on 6. I mean come on...Double shotguns as a secondary weapon.

The things I look for in a game are:
- A challenge
- Longevity or replay value
- Enjoyable Gameplay
- Engaging Storyline.
- Variety is a must

HD graphics do not make a game immediately good. If anything, they make the game worse as the designers are too busy creating good graphics than actually making a game that I want to play. This is why I prefer my Wii over my 360 as Nintendo have never concentrated on making a game look good but have always concentrated on making the gameplay as good as possible.

Last edited by CViper (3/12/2010 5:49 pm)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/crimsonviper_/Manchester-1.png

Be Alert! Britain Needs Lerts!!

#4 3/12/2010 6:08 pm

Babadingldoo
Website

So... kart games... getting MNR? big_smile

#5 3/12/2010 6:09 pm

CViper

Nope, I refuse to buy a PS3.

#6 3/12/2010 6:18 pm

exe.Cute

One thing that bugs me is the big division in gaming between "Japanese" people and "western" people.  In America, there's the notion of a "gamer" as a sort of rough and tumble hardcore shooter player (and girl gamer = tomboy).  These gamers play all the new shooters, and when they talk about RPGs, they're talking about open world western RPGs where you can "do anything" which basically just means you can kill shopkeepers to take their stuff and be evil.

On the other hand, we "Japanese" people are pretty much ignored by gaming culture as.. anime-loving, feminine freaks who don't have any actual gaming skill.  Which couldn't be further from the truth.  So I hate first-person shooters and I don't like wandering around the world killing people at random with no consequences.  That doesn't mean I'm not a gamer.  I'd love to see a run-of-the-mill FPS player try to tackle some of the games I play.  Bullet hell space shooters?  Megaman?  Brutally hard action-adventures like Eternal Daughter and An Untitled Story?  I completed a "three hearts" run of Zelda: Ocarina of Time when I was 12.

Couple that with the fact that Japan doesn't really make good games anymore and I'm left in the dust.  I have to sift through indie games to try and find things that I like.  I'm not a gun-loving tomboy but I'm not a girly girl who's afraid of the game controller.  Somebody ought to make games for people like me but I guess it's not really a market anymore.  It's "shooter" or "casual" or both and only indie games have low enough production values to be able to give me what I want.  Once again the "free" market ruins everything because it doesn't have an infinite number of consumers.

While no longer active on these forums, I'm available by email if you'd like to talk to me.

#7 3/12/2010 6:24 pm

CViper

exe.Cute wrote:

One thing that bugs me is the big division in gaming between "Japanese" people and "western" people.  In America, there's the notion of a "gamer" as a sort of rough and tumble hardcore shooter player (and girl gamer = tomboy).  These gamers play all the new shooters, and when they talk about RPGs, they're talking about open world western RPGs where you can "do anything" which basically just means you can kill shopkeepers to take their stuff and be evil.

On the other hand, we "Japanese" people are pretty much ignored by gaming culture as.. anime-loving, feminine freaks who don't have any actual gaming skill.  Which couldn't be further from the truth.  So I hate first-person shooters and I don't like wandering around the world killing people at random with no consequences.  That doesn't mean I'm not a gamer.  I'd love to see a run-of-the-mill FPS player try to tackle some of the games I play.  Bullet hell space shooters?  Megaman?  Brutally hard action-adventures like Eternal Daughter and An Untitled Story?  I completed a "three hearts" run of Zelda: Ocarina of Time when I was 12.

Couple that with the fact that Japan doesn't really make good games anymore and I'm left in the dust.  I have to sift through indie games to try and find things that I like.  I'm not a gun-loving tomboy but I'm not a girly girl who's afraid of the game controller.  Somebody ought to make games for people like me but I guess it's not really a market anymore.  It's "shooter" or "casual" or both and only indie games have low enough production values to be able to give me what I want.  Once again the "free" market ruins everything because it doesn't have an infinite number of consumers.

True That ^^^^^^ I hate people who class themselves as "hardcore gamers" just because they are in a COD or Halo game and scoff at Wii owners because its too "casual". This just highlights their ignorance in the world of gaming.

#8 3/12/2010 8:55 pm

Walrus King

Hmmmm..... my favorite genre of gaming is pretty hard to come up with, I like quite a few genres. However, I dont like sports games or racing games (unless its a Mario game). Here are some games that I liked but are all VERY different form eachother. Im not gonna give a long review of any of these games.

Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy: Ive already mentioned my views on these games in previous topics so I wont say anything here.

Bioshock: Making games have good graphics isnt everything, but for some games it helps ALOT. Bioshock had a wide variety of weapons. Not just a bunch of guns, but also the "plasmids". Powers such as shooting lightning or fire from your hands, and much other weirder ones like sending killer bees against a foe (from your hands). I think I might go too far to say a videogame was scary, but after Bioshock, the "Dead Space" game seemed like nothing. I want to emphasize that Bioshock is not your typical shooter (in my opinion).

Fallout 3: Amazing, truly amazing. Fallout 3 has the most engaging storyline ever. Most of what you do in this game however will not be by the main storyline, you will end up trying out many sidequests along the way. Also, you do shoot a gun (or use a melee weapon), but this is not your typical shooter. It is a VERY open world game. This probably qualifies mostly as a "sandbox" game. However you do level up, but I wouldnt say its a role playing game.

Halo: This is a shooter obviously. I think the one thing Ive always loved about the halo series as opposed to COD is that Halo is so simple.

I might write more reviews later (or more detailed ones).

http://i55.tinypic.com/1zd14w3.jpg  http://i56.tinypic.com/24niult.jpg http://i56.tinypic.com/219xag6.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/4qle8g.jpg

#9 3/12/2010 9:55 pm

exe.Cute

Yeah, Bioshock is pretty amazing.  Even I loved it, and I've expressed my distaste for shooters pretty strongly.  It's not very often that you encounter a game with such a strong atmosphere.

Also Fallout is generally considered an RPG, but in western style so it's more of a sandbox-RPG hybrid.  The first Fallout was a little too brown and confusing for my tastes, but I haven't tried the newer ones... I hear they're still brown, though.

#10 3/12/2010 10:53 pm

Shrub

I may have misunderstood exe, but are you Japanese?

Anyway, my kind of game is...well it can by anything. Some of my favorite games of all time are CODmw2, pokťmon blue-silver, the Ratchet and Clank series, Oregon Trail, the FIFA series, Grand Theft Auto series, the Half Life series, and Team fortress 2. As long as a game is of high quality, I'll enjoy it. My first game was Spyro, and that was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/AbsoluteSil3nce/ShrubNewSig.png
Signature limit: 700x140

#11 3/12/2010 11:10 pm

CViper

She was merely stating that she falls into the Japanese Gamer Archetype not that she is actually Japanese.

#12 3/12/2010 11:13 pm

exe.Cute

Yeah I originally had "Japanese people" but I changed it to "Japanese" people for clarity.  SUBTLE THINGS ARE IMPORTANT TOO

#13 3/12/2010 11:51 pm

Cole Train

I don't think that's quite fair, considering you're including every single person in those statements of yours. I for one like all games except for the ones that actually are just for girls (which are always with horses, oddly enough...).

What I find odd are the Japanese games with Americans in them... which are always perceived as completely ripped people with super-human strength and can throw TV's and jump out of 3 story buildings without taking a scratch.  But that's just the guys - the girls are big-titted nymphomaniacs.

Examples of where I'm pulling this from:

1. Resident Evil

2. Ninja Gaiden 2

3. Dead Rising

If anybody wishes to add more games to this list, feel free.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr201/EdwardNorton133/CantStopTheTrainBaby.png http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/mleon_photos_2008/BudyPoke/ColeTrain.gif
You've crossed my path - now you die.

#14 3/13/2010 3:41 am

Datruel3gend
Website

I like a multitude of games. Just about all genres.

Examples:

Call of Duty

Assassin's Creed

Forza Motorsport

Good ol' Mario Brothers

I like good gameplay with a story that I can really get into. In response to people saying that all shooters are the same, there are a lot of ways that make games (For instance, Call of Duty, Halo, and Gears of War) amazingly different. If you put any time into any of them you'd see how amazingly different they are.

http://tinyurl.com/mwj78a

#15 3/13/2010 11:10 am

CViper

Cole Train wrote:

I don't think that's quite fair, considering you're including every single person in those statements of yours. I for one like all games except for the ones that actually are just for girls (which are always with horses, oddly enough...).

What I find odd are the Japanese games with Americans in them... which are always perceived as completely ripped people with super-human strength and can throw TV's and jump out of 3 story buildings without taking a scratch.  But that's just the guys - the girls are big-titted nymphomaniacs.

Examples of where I'm pulling this from:

1. Resident Evil

2. Ninja Gaiden 2

3. Dead Rising

If anybody wishes to add more games to this list, feel free.

As opposed to American games/films that just portray Americans as amazing and the rest of the world as horrendous stereotypes. I mean the English accents in COD were diabolical and thats putting it lightly. And one of the lines in COD...URGH

#16 3/13/2010 5:40 pm

Babadingldoo
Website

Um... LBP and Mario Kart... are you getting MNR? big_smile

#17 3/13/2010 9:40 pm

SeanxThexAssassin

I enjoy first-person shooters, third-person shooters, strategy/survival games, horror/survival games, and soccer games big_smile

-Modern Warfare 2 (first cod game ive ever played and its pretty good)
-Halo 2 and 3
-Every Fifa game
-Every Resident Evil game (amazing games)
-Gears of war 1,2-I think the best storyline of the 3 main shooters, halo, cod, and gow
-Some need for speed games
-Left 4 Dead 1&2

"Would you rather live a monster or die a good man?"

#18 3/13/2010 9:56 pm

Shrub

Sean, you just defined the "American gamer". Not a bad thing.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/AbsoluteSil3nce/ShrubNewSig.png
Signature limit: 700x140

#19 3/13/2010 10:20 pm

Datruel3gend
Website

Shrub wrote:

Except for Fifa (not a huge fan...) I enjoy everything on that list as well.

http://tinyurl.com/mwj78a

#20 3/13/2010 11:12 pm

exe.Cute

I'm not saying you can only like games from one side of the line, I'm just saying I don't like how "gamer culture" almost completely ignores one of the perspectives on game design.  Japanese games have more than Zelda, you know.

#21 3/14/2010 12:24 am

Babadingldoo
Website

Datruel3gend wrote:

Shrub wrote:

Except for Fifa (not a huge fan...) I enjoy everything on that list as well.

You notice how every game except that one involves guns, knives, and fire (but mostly guns)?

#22 3/14/2010 10:50 am

CViper

Fifa games are good if you like football.Same for any specific sport games. I do like Fifa but I dont see the point in buying it year in year out like some people do. Also PES is probably the better of the two in gameplay sense. I'd just like to say something I missed off my original post. Okami is my favourite game ever not Diablo II as I may have stated. I mean just look at it.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/crimsonviper_/okami.jpg

Anytime someone says a Wii game cannot look good because it doesnt have HD graphics I scoof and just point them to this. The 360 and PS3 would never get this because all of their games are generic shooters with realistic wartime graphics where as this is the best looking game I have ever seen in my life.

Last edited by CViper (3/14/2010 12:13 pm)

#23 3/14/2010 1:36 pm

exe.Cute

The Wii has trouble making realistic-looking graphics, but real and pretty aren't the same thing.  In fact I'd go so far as to say that real is ugly for the most part.  Why am I playing video games if I just want to look at reality.  My own back yard is prettier than most of these games anyway.

Also I hadn't even heard of Okami until like a month ago.  Now I really want to play it.

#24 3/14/2010 2:58 pm

Babadingldoo
Website

We got that on the PS2, and it still looks the same. The only difference is the PS2 uses analogs. Okami was one of the last good games to come out for the PS2 before it just started having PS3 port overs.

#25 3/14/2010 4:54 pm

CViper

I'd go as far to say that its my favourite game no matter what hardware you play it on. Its essentially the same game but why change what was a winning formula originally. The DS sequel looks good too. Lets just hope it sells better than the original.

Board footer