TWBoards.com

The official community for Territory War

You are not logged in.

#1 12/21/2010 11:14 pm

Remalle

Foreground terrain and rifle buff

Hello, I've looked around the suggestions forum and couldn't find anything like my first idea, and the word "rifle" pops up so many times on a search I don't know if my second idea has been suggested.

1.  Foreground Terrain
As it stands, there are three depth levels in the game:  first, "static background", second, "mobile background", and third, "playable".  Future maps could have a fourth level added, "foreground", that would obscure the playable layer behind it without otherwise affecting it.  This means that you could put one of your players behind, say, a tree, and they would be invisible, but they would still take full damage from attacks.  Foreground terrain could be completely opaque or translucent, in the latter case merely providing some extra flavour or a simulation of depth.  Foreground terrain would be modifiable by players, as explosions would remove it, and the player would be able to place foreground objects as they would walls or platforms (cardboard box anyone?).
Examples: underbrush in a forest, corn on a farm, cars on a street

2.  Rifle Buff
Currently rifles have a severely limiting condition for their use; they can't be fired beyond the edge of the view.  I would suggest the rifle be able to fire beyond the player's view, with the following caveats: first, that headshots deal the same damage as body shots (though a kill will still count as a headshot), second, that they have either reduced damage or a chance of missing outright even if the shot would otherwise connect, and finally, that at the edge of the view the projectile would randomly move between zero and ten degrees off the original trajectory.  If the player fires a shot off the edge of their view, it would rapidly scroll to the spot where the shot hits in a similar fashion to a grenade or rocket and show the impact, so there is no doubt where the shot struck.
I'm suggesting this because the rifle, a long range weapon practically by definition, has the range of a popgun as it is, and so tactical considerations such as fortifications are in fact entirely useless.  My idea would rectify this while keeping the rifle (hopefully) balanced.

#2 12/21/2010 11:20 pm

CViper

Re: Foreground terrain and rifle buff

1. Hasn't been suggested before. It's an intriguing idea but ultimately, I believe it would promote camping (the same way people can camp on "Jungle" on Black Ops by hiding in the grass). Would the player's names show through the foreground so the other team know where all members of the other team are.

2. Has been suggested before. However, you added some new additions in an attempt to make it balanced. I'm not sure what to make of those so I'll get back to on that one.

Last edited by CViper (12/21/2010 11:22 pm)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/crimsonviper_/Manchester-1.png

Be Alert! Britain Needs Lerts!!

#3 12/23/2010 10:39 pm

Remalle

Either the player's name would be visible, which would make hiding behind foreground terrain an impossible tactic, or else it could be designed to have enough holes to partially see through, or else it could become partially transparent when a player walks behind it; I'm sure there are plenty of ways to prevent complete invisibility.  Besides, the other player would be able to see you moving your player in the first place.

#4 12/23/2010 10:57 pm

CViper

Not if they are doing something else at the time which I did a lot when I played TWO.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/crimsonviper_/Manchester-1.png

Be Alert! Britain Needs Lerts!!

#5 12/23/2010 11:23 pm

Remalle

CViper: That's true, I guess, but my other balancing suggestions stand
sulliman1: In regards to foreground terrain, having cover is never a tactical disadvantage.
In regards to the rifle buff, I meant that the view would scroll after you take the shot, not that it would show where you're aiming.  Also, when you can't do headshot damage at range, people are still going to prefer the grenade, since at short to medium range it does more damage and has knockback, while at long range you're going to have to shoot around obstacles and still hope your shot doesn't stray enough to miss outright.

Board footer